Friday, August 31, 2012

What have I gotten myself into?!

We live in a farmhouse. It has cobwebs, mice in the roof and the occasional bee tries to make it a home. It is nothing flash, it is nothing fancy. It is tiny, it does my head in on a regular basis (especially the kitchen & bathroom!). It has next to no storage - no wardrobes, no bathroom cupboards, not even a proper pantry. As a result, we have had to buy/source storage options. We still have no where near enough storage for all of our belongings and as a result lots of things are stored in plastic storage boxes. These boxes are then stacked in the corner of my sewing room.

In order to overcome some of the storage issues in my sewing room, I came across two old sets of shelves/bookcases at the local school. They were put into the sewing room and due to other commitments, I didn't get around to organising and setting up the shelves properly. As a result, stuff (and I mean stuff) has been dumped on and around the shelves with no resemblance of any order so now it just looks like one big junk pile. It has gotten to the point that the only clearing is a path way from the door to the back corner of the room where my sewing machine & ironing board are set up.

Now that I am not working and I am finding myself in the sewing room on a regular basis, I am really getting frustrated with the mess & the amount of crap that has accumulated. Solution to my frustration: clean out, throw out & organise the sewing room!

This is how the sewing room looked when I started.

 

 
I was recently contacted by a friend who had a Janome Memory Craft 6000 with a Horn sewing cabinet. I have been after a Horn cabinet for months so I was pretty stoked and very quickly organised a visit with her to look at the machine. The machine may be a lot older than my little Betty but it seems to have a lot more functions.....so that's how I came to welcome Ruby to the family. More on Ruby & Betty later.
You can see Ruby in the middle of the room there. I need to fit her in somewhere......I've spent a few hours in the room so far clearing stuff out, tidying, rearranging and I'm finding myself asking what have I gotten myself into?!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like it needed to be done. Like all those jobs we hate it will be terrific when its done! It could be worse - I don't have a sewing room at all so I sew in my hallway and have to pack everything away each time I sew as my Horn cabinet blocks the door to my son's room when its open and I have to put all the stuff I store on top of it on our bed just so I can use it. I have plastic boxes in the loungeroom full of fabric. I like to think of it as an inspirational design feature. Don't think my husband agrees with me but he's learnt to live with my fabric issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sooli!! I pity you and feel very lucky now to have a whole room just for my sewing/scrapbooking!! I love being able to leave stuff on the cutting table or ironing board ready until I can come back to it!!
      My hubby is still learning to live with my fabric issues.

      Delete
  2. Hehe I love a good organising challenge!!! I'm a sucker for storage containers and bits and bobs etc - the trouble is I cant through anything out if its not damamged in some way or another I always think ..but "what if!!" ahaha :) Goodluck Gem cant wait to see progress pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe Ki. I would love your sewing room!! It has a place for everything - a goal that I am working towards very slowly.

      Delete
  3. I have to say, my sewing room is in a worse state. I tried to clean up a while back but then I found some fabric and got distracted and - well, you know how it goes! My secret weapon is that next week it's all going to get packed up in boxes and I'll sort it out when it gets unpacked (yeah right!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne, I get distracted very easily!! I would love to pack mine up to move it into the bigger house up the road - hopefully after harvest!!

      Delete